What Can I Get?

Need further assistance? Talk to one of the team on 01633 660 632

What can I get?

DSAs are grants to help pay the extra essential costs you may have as a result of your disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty, such as dyslexia or DCD (dyspraxia). You don’t have to pay these back. Funding is typically divided into the following allowances:-

  • To help you buy any specialist equipment you need because of your disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty. You can also use it to pay for insurance or extended warranty costs arising from owning that equipment.

  • It helps to pay for support workers (such as study skills tutors, mentors, sign-language interpreters, or note- takers), and other non-medical assistants you need to benefit fully from your course.

  • It helps to pay other disability-related costs. You can buy items such as printer cartridges and Braille paper, or to top up the specialist equipment and non-medical helper allowances if necessary.

  • It helps with any extra travel costs you may have to pay to get to your university or college because of your disability (for example, if you need to take a taxi because your disability prevents you from taking public transport). You won’t be eligible for help with everyday travel costs which any student would expect to pay. You may also have to provide receipts.