Who Is Eligible?

Need further assistance? Talk to one of the team on 01633 660 632

Am I eligible for Disabled student allowances and how do I prove my condition?

  • You can receive disabled students allowances if your condition affects your ability to study and you can provide evidence. You also have to meet one of the following criteria

    • You qualify for student finance;
    • You’re an undergraduate or postgraduate student (including distance learning students);
    • You’re an Open University (OU) student;
    • You’re studying an Initial Teacher Education (ITE) course;
    • You’re studying a first higher education course (HND or Dip HE).
  • Depending on which funding body you will be using, you will need to complete an application which can be found on our useful resources page. If you need any help completing this form, please do not hesitate to contact us.

    Once your funding body has processed your form, you will receive a letter from them asking you to undertake a needs assessment. This will need to be carried out by government registered DSA study needs assessment centre such as ourselves.

  • In order to prove your physical disability for disabled students allowances you will need a report or letter from your GP or appropriate specialist.

  • In order to prove your learning difficulty for disabled students allowances a full diagnostic report, produced since you turned 16, from:

    – A chartered or practitioner psychologist or

    – A specialist teacher holding a current Assessment Practising Certificate

  • In order to prove your long term health condition for disabled students allowances you will need a letter from your GP or Mental Health Proforma, completed and signed by a doctor or other qualified specialist.

    • An EU student who is eligible for fee support only
    • Eligible for NHS Disabled Students’ Allowances (this is a separate scheme)
    • Getting equivalent support from another funding source, like from your university or a social work bursary